Thursday, November 24, 2011

Seasonal Music Roundup: A Thanksgiving Playlist

I really cut the work out for myself with this playlist, not because there are no songs about food, but because:
  • I tried to make the list out of serious songs.
  • I wanted representations of multiple food groups.
  • I avoided songs that were too blatantly not about food (i.e. "Pulling Mussels from the Shell" by Squeeze).
  • I waited until the last minute to start the playlist.
Believe it or not, when you sit down to think about songs that have to do with food, it's pretty hard. As such, I apologize for the concentration on fruits and sweet foods.

Without further ado, here is a list of food/eating related songs to get you in the mood for Thanksgiving (explanations after the image):

 

"Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran
This song represents one in a very small handful of Duran Duran songs that I like. I chose it to kick off this playlist because it was one of the best "hunger" songs I could think of.

"The Sound of Settling" by Death Cab For Cutie
Even though this has more to do with Ben Gibbard's apparent inability to communicate feelings, he does say he's pretty hungry.

"Dinner For Two" by Deerhoof
I don't want to hear any complaints about Deerhoof. Portabello in exploding candle light. I understand.

"Pork and Beans" by Weezer
I never thought Deerhoof would fade into Weezer as well as they did. Rivers Cuomo is going to eat his candy with the pork and beans. 

"Raw Meat" by Black Lips
This song was added as an after-thought when I realized I had almost no main course songs. At least it mentions food fairly exclusively.

"Green Onions" by Booker T. & The M.G.'s
One of the most popular instrumental rock songs of all time! I don't even have to worry about the lyrics conflicting with the playlist.

"Eat the Music" by Kate Bush
Fruits galore are mentioned as Kate Bush prepares to "Eat the Music." This video was part of Bush's production of "The Red Shoes," which I must have watched a hundred times as a kid (as well as doing my own version of it). Song starts at 0:16:


"Pineapple Head" by Crowded House
Another song about fruit. I don't have much to say about it, apart from that Crowded House can be really amazing.
 
"Coconut" by Harry Nilsson
This song is probably the only Harry Nilsson song most people know by Harry Nilsson. It's a classic.

"Banana Man" by Tally Hall
Continuing the tropical fruits theme, we have Tally Hall's "Banana Man." A part of me thinks Tally Hall may regret this song by now, but I still like it.

"Apples, Peaches, Bananas and Pears" by The Monkees
This is very much a mid-late 60s pop song. At least it does sing of foods.

"Vanilla Sky" by Paul McCartney
This song from the movie of the same title was nominated for an Academy Award. It actually fits the theme better than most of the other songs.

"Apple Pie Bed" by Lawrence Arabia
If you're up for a very beautiful, but creepily sexual video, I recommend this one. Obviously, Apple Pie has very little to do with it.


"I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)" by The Four Tops
This is such a classic song. It's not really about food, but there are vague mentions.

"A Taste of Honey" by The Beatles
While this isn't one of the best Beatles songs, it still shows what they could do prior to their prime.

"Lips Like Sugar" by Echo and the Bunnymen
This was actually one of the first songs I thought of for this playlist. I hope he doesn't eat his girlfriend's lips though. That would be horrific.

"I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow
How great are Bow Wow Wow? This is a cover of a 60s song, yet they totally make it sound relevant to the 80s.

"Savoy Truffle" by The Beatles
George Harrison's song to ween Eric Clapton off of sweets. One of the few songs in this playlist that's actually about food.

No comments:

Post a Comment